CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, February 20, 2012

President's Day Weekend

The journey began Friday night when Pace, Jace, and Soup picked me up. We headed down to Provo where we picked up Nick and Josh and switched all our stuff into Josh's van. We then made our way to Cedar City [the place where my friendship with these boys started :) fun little fact]. The car ride didn't seem to take too long. I sat in the very back with Nick where we had some good conversations. We made it to Cedar around 11. Joey was excited that we finally made it and wanted to go do something fun since he hadn't done anything all day, but we were all tired and not up to doing anything. So we talked for a bit and then just went to bed.
After a not so great night of sleep, we woke up Saturday morning and didn't take too long to eat and pack up again before we were back on the rode. We first went to Zion's to claim a camping spot. Once we set up the tent and left a few things, we got back in the car to head to St. George to grocery shop and go rappelling. Once in St. George, we stopped to grab some lunch at Dickey's BBQ. That place is yummy. After we stuffed our faces, Pace called his cousin about rappelling and found out his cousin had gotten a sinus infection. So rappelling was out of the question. Sad day. I was really excited for that adventure. But we didn't let it get us down. We went to Wal-Mart to buy some food to last us the weekend and then went back to our campground. We figured we should hike in Zion's while we had good daylight, and because we knew it was supposed to be stormy the next day. So we got all ready and decided to hike Angel's Landing. Best. Hike. Ever! Not even that the view is amazing, but when you add SNOW to the hike, it adds a lot more risk, which just makes the hike all that more fun and exciting! I'm pretty sure I got called 'the man' way too many times though.. haha. Guess I shouldn't be too surprised. I've always been just one of the guys. Which is a big reason as to why I was invited. I'm 'the tough girl that mows lawns and can keep up and handle being with six guys all weekend.' No big deal. But seriously, it was such a fun hike. Holding on to a chain for dear life while climbing up through snow as well as sliding down is thrilling. And it didn't hurt that I had six guys there to help me and make sure I was safe :). I even got proposed to at the top! Haha now obviously it wasn't real, but it got me thinking, I'd be completely happy with that proposal! Hah anyways, we took lots of pictures and then made our way back down the mountain before it got too dark. Once we got down, we went back to the campground and got the fire going. We sat around the fire for a while and talked while we waited for our hot dogs to cook. Once we ate, we realized we didn't have enough food so Josh, Jace, Joey, and I took a trip back to Wal-Mart. We wandered around the store for a bit and then after waiting in line for about 30 minutes (we were behind a lady couponing..) we headed back to camp. We sat around the fire for a little bit more before we decided to get ready for bed.
Now, we had set up one tent. One five person tent. For seven people. It was pretty hilarious. We got nice and cozy with each other. Pace kept trying to snuggle with Josh to get more room. Jace was on a slight hill sliding into Nick. Soup did steam roller a couple times over all of us. Hah it was funny. The only problem was that I didn't sleep at all. Once we finally stopped talking and the boys fell asleep, I just lied there too squished and hot to sleep. So I let my mind wander thinking of random things and listening to the rain on the tent.
At about 5:45 in the morning, Pace and Josh woke up. Pace started complaining about being wet. So then everyone woke up. Turns out the rain turned to snow and Joey and Pace, who were on the edges, were getting soaked. Joey kept saying we should pack up and leave but the rest of us were too lazy to get up. So we stopped talking and people fell back asleep. This was the point in time where I got maybe an hour of sleep. Little did I know I had snuggled up to Josh. So I guess if I had done that at the very beginning, I might have slept all through the night haha. I was actually pretty embarrassed when I realized it. But after I woke up, we finally all got up and decided to get out of there. We opened the tent door to find a couple inches of snow surrounding us. Can't say I've ever seen that camping before. So the boys went outside to clean up while I packed up all the sleeping bags. Once we were all packed up and in the car, we had to make a decision. Where do we go? Do we go back to Cedar? Do we go home? Do we go farther south to somewhere warmer?
And the winner: farther south! We headed down to Joey's cabin by Lake Mead.
Once we arrived, we laid out all the sleeping bags, pads, and tent so they could dry. I was loving the sun being out so I just sat on a bench swing soaking in all the warmth. I took a quick break to go inside and eat but then I was right back outside in the sun. I ended up falling asleep on a camping chair cause the warmth felt so good. But I was woken up soon after so we could go on another hike. So we went to the Valley of Fire State Park and climbed around on all the rocks. It was a lot of fun. I had forgotten how much fun I have with hiking and exploring. I've just been so lazy lately. It was definitely something I needed. I could have ran around those rocks all day if I wasn't so sleep deprived hah. A lot of people started getting tired so after taking a quick little walk around the visitor's center, we headed back to the cabin. We then just spent the rest of the night relaxing. I tried to nap but it didn't happen so I watched some of the guys play Sorry. We then just kinda hung out all night, making smores, and watched movies. I only stayed awake to watch Super 8 and then I showered and went to bed. I finally got some sleep. It felt wonderful. Although I did wake up a couple of times cause I was cold, but it was better than staying up all night again.
So morning came around to everyone complaining about the cold. We got a fire burning and we all sat around eating breakfast and staring at the fire. But the vacation had to come to an end because Nick had to get back for work at 5:30, so we packed everything up and drove back to Cedar. We stopped for some delicious lunch at Pizza Hut before dropping Joey off and parting ways. We made it all the way back to Provo where we took some time switching stuff into different cars, figuring out all the expenses, and putting all our pics onto one computer. And then we said goodbye and I made my way back home.
And that was my weekend. It was seriously so much fun. I know this post is already super long, but believe me, I cut down quite a bit of detail. Otherwise I would've been here forever. But I was definitely sad when it came to an end. I seriously love those boys. I could not have asked for a better group of friends. Ones that make me feel loved, included, and that I can accomplish anything I want. My life wouldn't be the same without them.

:)

(Oh, and sorry there aren't any other pics.. Nick has them all on his computer and I will hopefully get them from him soon. I stole that one from Josh's facebook.)

No comments: