Today was our slowest morning yet which I wasn't complaining about. This cold is not giving me motivation to explore. We ate, showered, and left the hostel around 10:30. We walked over to the Innenstadt to see the Rathaus glockenspiel. We made a quick stop at a store called C&A because we've realized the weather in Switzerland is going to be cold and Ellen needed pants while I needed a long sleeve shirt or sweater. My little rain jacket won't be good enough for 30 degree weather. Russ also needed a new church shirt since he ripped his climbing down a bunk bed the other night. We actually had great luck finding exactly what we all needed for cheap. I bought a tan stripped sweater which I'm actually really excited about. Something cute and warm! We bought our merchandise then continued on to the Rathaus, which was really neat. We happened to be there at te top of thr hour so we were able to see Glockenspiel where the music and little dancing people went off.
Afterwards, we made our way to The Church of our Holy Lady. When we walked inside, we weren't that impressed. It was the lamest church we've seen so far. The only cool part was a footprint that supposedly is Satan's. He was commanded to leave the building and stomped his foot in protest.
Kinda funny what people believe.
We made our way back to the hostel after that to get our car. We stopped by a grocery store for more snacks and we were on our way to the next stop.
I attempted to sleep during the drive. I say attempted because I don't feel like I ever fell asleep, but I also think I must have.
We planned a little detour on our way to Switzerland to see the Neuschwanstein Castle. Just the castle that Walt Disney modeled his Disneyland castle after. No big deal.
We made the hike up to see it up close. It wasn't a hard hike. It was asphalt all the way up. But when it's cold, you're out of shape, and have a cold, it was a little rough. But I wasn't going to let all of that stop me. It was worth it.
We also hiked a little farther past the castle to get to a bridge that has an awesome view:
We walked down and got back in our cars to head to Switzerland. We had a little adventure to find somewhere to eat on the way. And by on the way, I mean we took some crazy detour not on the way to some place that ended up being super expensive so we gave up and ended up at a McDonald's. And then we were back on the rode.
Once again I attempted to sleep. We had like a four hour drive and I must have slept some but it was miserable. I feel miserable. And of course we then have a hard time finding our place we're staying for the night. The GPS kept telling us to board a ferry. Tom had been here before with his parents and told us a story about how they all of a sudden were boarding a ferry in their car that was super expensive and took them through the mountain. We were kinda freaking out that that is what we were going to have to do. Mind you, this was at 11 at night. Not the best night to be lost and confused when all I need is a warm bed to get some actual sleep rather than attempt sleep in a car.
We finally called the hotel and figured out we needed to ride a tram to get to it. There were no cars allowed up there. Luckily it was 11:30 and the last one left at 11:45. So we quickly drove to the place and got on board. Apparently this tram is the thing to do here anyway. It's just too bad it's at night so we can't see anything. At least we'll get to see it when we leave tomorrow. Unless it's still raining, or worse, snowing! Which snow is sadly in the forecast. There was talk in the car that if that's the case, we may just start our journey back towards Spain and spend more time in Southern France. We'll see.
The hotel we're staying at is this big cabin place. It's kinda cool from what I've seen so far. Which isn't much. But my bed is comfy so let's hope I get some good sleep tonight!
Tomorrow: Gimmelwald, Switzerland!












No comments:
Post a Comment