We had a very early morning in order to get to the airport in time to fly out to London. Waking up at 4:00 when you've been sleep deprived and struggling with a time difference is rough. We barely made it to the airport and through security and we were once again on a plane. It was a three hour flight which I passed out for the majority of. Thank goodness for that. I wouldn't have survived the rest of the day if I hadn't slept more.
We got to London and experienced the hustle and bustle of using public transportation. But it worked out great because the real first sight we had of London was coming up out of the underground right in front of the LDS church just in time (well okay, slightly late by a few minutes) for the YSA ward at 1:00. Good thing I'm the only one out of the four of us that ward even applies to. Unfortunately I didn't spot any attractive men for me. Bummer ;)
It was great to be able to attend church. Even though I might have been slightly on the tired side and I'm not sure how much I really got out of the talks it was still great to know that wherever I am in the world, the gospel stays the same and I can be filled with the spirit.
Once sacrament was over, we decided we needed food. Since we left so early, we didn't really have time for breakfast. Tom and I had scarfed down sandwiches at the airport before going through security, but they weren't very filling. And Liz and Logan hadn't eaten anything at all! So we took to the streets in search of a good lunch place. As we were walking we were commenting on how perfect the weather was- nice and sunny. Not even a minute later, it started pouring! Like really? We ran into this little doorway in order to get our rain jackets on and cover our backpacks.
By the time we finished eating, it had stopped raining and was perfect weather again. We went to our hostel to drop off our bags and went back out to explore the city.
We went back to the church cause we thought there was an organ concert but it ended up being next week so we went to Picadilly Circus (not an actual circus, just what the part of the city is called) to walk around.
At this point, it was dinner time. We walked around forever trying to decide what we wanted to eat. We even entered a restaurant, sat down, and then decided we didn't want to eat there so we got up and left. After probably three hours of just walking around and not making up our minds, we ended up at Burger King. Yeah, that happened. It was 9:00 at night and the place was packed! But at this point we were starving and just went with what we knew was good and was cheaper than other places.
We finished eating and headed back to the hostel.
Now I guess I can talk briefly about our hostel. There are some very interesting people in our room. It's supposed to be a youth hostel, but there have been some 40 year old creepers! Luckily I'm on the top of a three bunk bed so I'm not too worried about anything happening. But it sure is a different experience!
I am having the time of my life and it's only day 3! London has been amazing and I can't wait to explore more of it!
Tomorrow: London day 2









No comments:
Post a Comment