CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Day 5, London, England (Tuesday, August 12)

Our original plan of going to the London Temple today fell through. We decided there were still so many things to do in London and the fact that the temple is a ways away didn't help. So we chose to join up again with Liz's dad at the Tower of London.

It's funny how bad I am at history and yet I love learning about it. It was so interesting finding out what the Tower of London was all about even though most of it is morbid and depressing. 

There is a poppy for everyone who died in some war? Obviously I'm not very good at remembering details..

We first went to see the Crown Jewels. It is insane how much gold and jewels are used for royalty pieces. There was a 530 (around there) carat diamond! I couldn't take pictures inside, so there isn't proof, but it's real. 




We listened to a tour guide afterward and found out the history of the place. Facts ranged from polar bears swimming in the moat to a 16 year old queen being beheaded. Crazy stuff happened there. 

We left the Tower of London and crossed the Tower Bridge. 



We got a taxi to then take us to St Paul's Cathedral. The architecture is seriously so breathtaking in this city! 



We went to go inside and found out we had to pay. Lame. But then we saw a sign that said if you were there for a service, you could get in free. Doesn't make much sense since everyone should just go to a service. But whatever. So we took the up on that offer. 


It was my first time witnessing something like this. It was weird. But I just enjoyed looking around the cathedral. I might have taken a few forbidden photos...




We walked around for a bit after the service and then took off to find somewhere to eat lunch. We stopped at this place called Garfunkel's which was super yummy. After lunch, Tom decided to go back to the hostel and rest since he has a cold. Sucky for him. I just hope I don't catch it! So he left and we got in a cab to take us to King's Cross Station. Liz is also a big Harry Potter fan so we had to of course see Platform 9 3/4. We originally wanted to go see the Warner Brothers Studio but we weren't able to get tickets. Apparently you have to buy them like two months in advance cause they sell out fast. So King's Cross was going to have to do to get our HP fix. 


When we got there, there was a crazy long line to get your picture taken. We ended up not waiting in line and settled for these pictures instead. 



I think I'll try to photoshop myself in the picture. 

But of course there is a store right next to it. So naturally we had to buy a souvenir. Especially if I wasn't going to get a picture by the cart. So I bought a t-shirt and we called it good. 

We left King's Cross and took a taxi to Harrod's. First, let me just tell you how fun it was to ride in a taxi. Driving on the left side of the rode is so weird! I freaked out at most left hand turns. We have taken a few double decker buses (which are also very fun) but they didn't give me the complete feel of driving on the left side as much as the taxis did. 

We arrived at Harrod's and walked around for a while. Man that store is HUGE! And also super fancy and expensive. I mean, take a look at this little sweet shop:

Crazy, right? I thought so.. And then they already had Christmas stuff up. Too soon! But these bears were funny..


We finished walking around and decided we should maybe meet back up with Tom. So we said goodbye to Liz's dad and headed back to our hostel. We got there and sat around for quite a bit. Tom was on the phone with his girlfriend, Logan fell asleep, and Liz and I just chilled. 

After a while, Liz and I were getting antsy. So we got Logan up and the three of us left to go find a place nearby to eat. While walking down the street, it started pouring. It's crazy how random rain comes here. You always have to be prepared with an umbrella or something just in case you get caught in the rain. But we found a pizza place pretty quick with a great deal. So we bought two pizzas and went back to the hostel to eat. We then just spent the night at the hostel hanging out. We met and talked with a few people staying in our room. One guys from Vancouver and two girls from Minnesota. We then showered and packed our bags to be ready for another early morning flight. 

I'm sad to be leaving London. I have loved it here. But we have so many other great places coming up that I can't complain about timing. Too much to see, so little time!

Tomorrow: Barcelona, Spain!

No comments: