CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Day 14: Gimmelwald & Interlaken, Switzerland (Thursday, August 21)

Good news is that I slept well. The bed was super comfy and Tom had given me more drugs before I went to bed so I think they helped me sleep through the night. Bad news is that I'm still sick. It's more stuffy rather than runny now. Bummer. 

We had a rough time getting started this morning. You can tell there is slight tension with what people want to do. Ellen has been dreaming of doing this particular hike here so that was their plan. Logan isn't the fondest of heights so they were going to sit out. Which left Tom and I to decide what we wanted to do. I really wanted to do the hike, but wasn't sure if I would survive it with my cold. But then I knew I'd regret it if I didn't go. Tom felt the same way. So the four of us parted from Liz and Logan and headed more up the mountain to do this insane hike. 

We got there and walked around the little streets to find the place to rent harnesses. I can't believe people live here! It's just this little town on the side of a cliff in the middle of the alps!







When we got to the rental place, they said we also had to rent shoes. It would double the cost and then we'd have to deal with our own shoes since we weren't planning on going back to that town. (The end of the hike was at the town where we left our bags at our hotel) With a little bit of walking around, we finally found the second (and only other) place to rent equipment. Turns out they are closed Thursdays. Like really? There was even a guy in the store that just ignored us when we tried knocking on the door. So dumb. We went back to the first place and they weren't going to budge on the whole shoe thing. So we ended up bailing on the hike. Ellen was pretty upset, but I think she's gotten over it by now. 

We made our way to a little grocery store to get some food for lunch. I bought a liter of orange juice to try and help this cold leave my system. And then we found a trail that would take us back down to our hotel. Just a hike through the Swiss alps, no big deal. 



The hills ARE alive with the sound of music!



Such a pretty hike!! I'm sort of glad he other hike didn't work out. I mean, it would have been awesome, but with my cold, the hike we did was perfect. 

We got back to our hotel and sat around for a little bit because we has just missed the tram and had to wait for the next one. By the way, this is what our hotel looked like:


There was an honesty shop right next door. No one is in it. You just leave your money for what you take. 

We got on the tram and even though it's a short little ride, it did have an amazing view. 



We got back into our car and drove to Interlaken to meet back up with Liz and Logan. The drive through the little canyon was beautiful for what I saw of it. I closed my eyes after a while to sleep.





We had chosen to meet up at a certain store close to the train station but what we didn't realize was there were two train stations and both had the store by it. But we eventually ended up at the same one. We ate lunch at a little restaurant in the grocery store and then decided to go to the lake and walk around a bit. 






I just can't take how beautiful the world is. I have loved exploring all of these new places! 

After our little walk around the lake, we went to a grocery store to pick up things to eat for breakfast and lunch tomorrow. The place we are staying at tonight is pretty much the basement of a house and so we have access to a kitchen. And once we all had our food, we made our way up another canyon to our place in Adelboden that we'll be staying for the next two nights. 

We arrived and got a tour of the place. It's this cute little basement apartment. Three bedrooms, one and a half bath, a kitchen, and a living/dining room. 

Everyone else decided they wanted to play cards. I sat out cause I'm still not feeling good and I didn't think touching all of the cards while wiping my nose was a good idea. It's not fun being sick on vacation and I would hate to be the cause of anyone else getting sick. So I say back drinking orange juice and just watched them play for a bit before heading off to bed. 

Tomorrow: Adelboden, Switzerland! 

No comments: